Middle School Composing 4 12 Bar Blues
In this lesson you will
- learn about the history of the blues
- learn about the chords, melodies, instruments, form used in the blues
- write your own 12 bar blues song
- I can explain where and when the blues first appeared
- I can tell about the musical style of the blues
- I can write my own 12 bar blues song
1 Watch a Video About the Blues
Watch a Video About the Blues
2 Listen to "The Homework Blues"
Listen to "The Homework Blues"
Notice the a a b form of the lyrics.
3 Write your own lyrics in a a b form.
Write your own blues song!
Write your own lyrics (words) in a a b form using the melody and the rhythms of Homework Blues.
4 Listen to the Accompaniment Track for Lay Around Blues
Listen to the Accompaniment Track for Lay Around Blues.
Sing your lyrics with the track.
5 Optional Assessment
Download and print the worksheet.
If you don't have a printer, write the answers to the questions on a piece of paper.
6 Optional: Learn More about the Blues
Optional: Learn More about the Blues
7 Music is Literacy
Parents, Teachers and Administration:
Music education is important for children.
Whether in class or at home, keep our children singing, playing, moving, listening and creating music!
Online Resources for Elementary Music Teachers