1 Review the staff - activities 1-14
Read and review the staff, clefs, the treble clef, numbering of lines and spaces, and naming notes in lines and spaces.
In this lesson you will
review the staff, and the pitch names of the lines and spaces
Learn #44. “Clock Round” – sing, move, name notes, review note values
Virtual: Have the students draw a staff. Have them find 5-8 coins, buttons, or small crackers/cereal to use as "notes"
Practice putting notes on the staff as follows:
- put a note on line 1. - put a note on line 5. - put a note on line 3
- put a note on space 1. - put a note on space 4. - put a note on space 2
Say the pitch names of the lines: E G B D F, then practice putting notes on them.
- put a note on E. - put a note on G. - put a note on B. - put a note on D. - put a note on F
- then mix up where to put notes.
Say the pitch names of the spaces: F A C E, then practice putting notes on them.
Teach where C and D are placed, then practice them.
Have the students spell musical words. Here are some to get you started: Cafe
Egg, Cabbage, Baggage, Deed, Deaf, Bead, Bed, Bead, bed, Caged, Deaf, Bade, Aced, Beg ,fade, Faded, Age, Cab, Badge
In Person: do the same. If students don't have materials to draw a staff, give them a photocopied staff and 5-8 bingo chips in a ziplock bag. (A pack of 900 bingo chips/counters on Amazon is $20 or less) Or cut notes out of cardstock for students to use.
Watch the movements that the students do to this song.
Virtual: create movements that you can do as a solo
In-person: create movements that you can do safely. (play the recording above if you can't sing)
- other options include playing the melody on Orff instruments, or teaching the Orff arrangement for the song.
Watch the cup game for "Favorite Rag"
In-person or virtual: Do the pattern on the cups, and keep it - don't pass. Just pick it up and set it down.